Volunteer Tax Counseling for the Elderly
The Fayette County Community Action Agency will be assisting local residents with their income tax return this tax season.
The Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Program and Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) offers free tax help to people who earn $53,000 or less and cannot afford professional assistance. Volunteers will be available to help prepare basic tax returns for taxpayers with special needs, including persons with disabilities, low to moderate income, unemployed, and elderly taxpayers.
The following information is required in order for your return to be completed:
• Proof of identification (photo ID)
• Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents
• An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security Number
• Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
• Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents
• Wage and earnings statements (W-2, W-2G, 1009R, 1099-Misc)
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
• Copy of last year’s return, bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
• To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
• Total amount paid for daycare provider and the provider’s tax ID number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number.
• Forms 1095-A, Affordable Health Care Statement, if applicable
• Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable.
Trained and certified community volunteers can help eligible taxpayer with credits, such as the EITC, Child Tax Credit or Credit for the Elderly
The TCE-VITA tax season begins on Monday, January 23, 2017, and is located at the Uniontown Mall. The days of operation are Monday thru Friday from 9am to 3 pm. Mondays and Wednesdays- Walk-ins, and Tuesdays, Thursdays, & Fridays - appointment only, To schedule an appointment the number to call is 724-430-6430.
This year we have another tax site location in the Masontown area by appointment only on Thursdays.
For taxpayers who want to prepare and file their own tax returns electronically, there is IRS Free File. Individuals or families with 2015 adjusted gross incomes of $60,000 or less can file their taxes by using the free file software, www.freefile.irs.gov
The VITA-TCE Program for Fayette County is sponsored by Fayette County Community Action Agency and is funded by the United States Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service and United Way.